Are you one of the 40 million Americans who suffer from anxiety? You may have tried therapy, medication, meditation and a number of other approaches. While all of these can be helpful, we have an additional recommendation: acupuncture.
Here’s how acupuncture helps with anxiety:
• In ancient Chinese medicine, an energy force called Qi regulates the body’s overall health. Stress and anxiety disrupt the flow of Qi, which your acupuncturist remedies by activating specific points on the body. In modern terms, Qi can be understood as metabolic function or the chemical processes that takes place in your body every day.
• The prescription of acupuncture points helps alleviate anxiety by stimulating the areas in your brain that control emotions.
• Acupuncture impacts how the body triggers its “fight or flight” response, thus reducing symptoms of anxiety and anxiety related indigestion, shortness of breath or insomnia.
• Studies suggest that acupuncture can reduce anxiety levels and lead to an improvement in patients’ quality of life. For example, a 2015 study found that acupuncture alleviated anxiety symptoms in people who hadn’t responded well to other treatments, including medication and psychotherapy.
• If you’re worried about needle pain, don’t be—the majority of patients feel only a tiny prick if anything at all. You’ll most likely become deeply relaxed and fall asleep as the anxiety melts away. You feel like yourself again in no time at all.